Thursday, April 14, 2011

Talkin' Junk


Well, I did it...my first "Speaking Engagement"...haha :)
The sweet ladies from the MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers)group at my church invited my friend Joan and I to come to speak about our "junk"...what we do and why we do it.


So I packed up my junk and Joan loaded up her signs and pillows...and we spent the morning talking about what we love.  It was a good day!


And of course I had to take a few pictures to share with my blogging friends...


Clocks, ladders and a couple of hinges...


Joan's fun signs and pillows...those Mr. and Mrs. pillows came home with me...thanks Joan :)


And of course a few grates and some chippy paint.


Anyone who knows me knows that speaking to a group is NOT my "thing"...in fact I have struggled with anxiety over it for years.  I felt a little bit like this guy in the picture "stepping out" of my comfort zone.  But I think it went well and I didn't even use the notes that I had stressed over  "carefully thought through"...over the last couple of weeks.  And the coordinator even had to mention the time because I would have just kept on talking well beyond what was planned.  Who knew I had so much to say???  I guess the words just flow when you are talking about things you love...God and junk...and yes in this case those 2 things do go together :)  I am so blessed to be able to stay home everyday with my kiddos AND have a little business creating and playing with my junk goodies.

Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us.
Ephesians 3:20

To my MOPS friends reading this...thanks again for the warm welcome and sweet comments!  Happy Junking :)

Enjoy your day everyone...thanks for stopping by!  Hope everyone has a great weekend...I'm heading to my first Flea Market of the season on Saturday with my mom and sisters.  Wish me luck!

12 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had fun ~ your "junk" is wonderful. Have a great weekend looking for more treasures ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time speaking in front of a group, too, Laurel. It sounds like you did really well. Yay!! Next: The Today Show!!

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you convert any MOPS over to the 'junk side'? Why do people look at us strangely when we say we love junk? Bet you were awesome and you'll have to take your presentation on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How FUN!! I bet you did gave an awesome "talk"...when it's about your passion, it's easier to talk about!
    Okay...where is the flea market???
    Have a FUN weekend!
    Warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Laurel! Yeah! I'm so happy for you. Yes, when it's your passion, you don't need notes or courage -- you need a timer to stop you. I do these too, and I usually show them the hinge picture trick (and I give you credit even though they don't know you) and it always gets a good reaction. God and junk repurposing definitely goes hand in hand. Acutally there are many lessons that can come out of junking. Your immeasurable verse -- tape measures.
    Midge

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet it was fabulous!! Junk just makes us ramble on doesn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Laurel! I would have had difficulty speaking in front of a group too. But you did it! And now you're on to your first flea market...
    I'm jealous!
    Good luck with it.
    By the way I love your set, all your chippy and rusty stuff looks great!
    Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone, now it's my turn!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brave girl...facing fears is a good thing. Course I'd never speak in front of a group of people over 7 years old:-) I'd sing, but not speak! I'm sure they enjoyed seeing all the beautiful things you create!
    Enjoy your flea marketing! Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laurel, so proud of you! I loved the pictures. Thanks so much.....keep up the good work! I too have touted about your hinges. Love that idea. I showed my junker friends how precious you are.
    Smiles, Alice

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so great, Laurel! I am sure everyone had a great time, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish you were closer because I would have you come and speak to my MOPS group. I am also blessed to be able to stay home with my 2 kids and go junkin' whenever I want as well as create my jewelry. It is such a blessing to be able to do what I love and make a little money doing it.

    I love your display.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how great that you were invited to share your passion like this at a speaking engagement and show your Found Treasures! A lovely vignette... I would have been asking if anything was for Sale after the event! *winks*

    Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! Please also feel free to contact me through email or on my Chipping with Charm Facebook page. I love hearing from you :)